Which is the best-selling book? How about the most globally read book? And the most commonly stolen one?
It is no other than the Scriptures. But the question is: Is the Bible true?
Yes, the Guinness World Records 1995 listed the Bible as the best-selling book of all time. Researcher James Chapman reports that this holy book tops the most read book of the last fifty years.
Not only that, the entire Bible has been translated into at least 700 languages and at least one part of it has been translated into 3,312 languages. Thus, it is the most translated book in the world.
Despite its command, You shall not steal, the good book is the most commonly stolen (and shoplifted) book worldwide.
But again, is the Bible true?
This holy book has inspired many song lyrics, including secular or non-Christian.
But despite being the most widely read and quoted book, it is also the most controversially debated book globally.
The controversy starts from the claim that the Bible we have today is not the original ancient manuscript. We only have copied and translated versions. Imagine how many translations of this special book have been made over the years. A single verse can read very differently between the various versions. The result leads many people to doubt its authenticity.
Still, is the Bible true?
What is the Bible?
The word “Bible” comes from the Greek word ta biblia, meaning “books” or “scrolls”. The term was extracted from Byblos, a city that supplied paper products in ancient times.
It is a library for Christians containing sixty-six books written and collected over at least a thousand years. The original manuscripts were written in three separate languages.
Its forty different writers or contributors came from three continents. They include kings, scientists, shepherds, an army general, attorneys, priests, fishermen and a physician.
This little library contains a collection of historical, prophetic and poetic books, as well as correspondence or letters. It covers the most controversial subjects in life, including such examples as health, science and prophecy.
But again, the question is, “Is the Bible true?” Christians claim that it is God’s divinely inspired message for His people.
Fulfilment of Biblical Prophecies
One attraction of this Holy Book is found in the accounts of prophecies. There are more than one thousand biblical prophecies. Today, only a few remain that are yet to be fulfilled.
Some of the predictions found in the Old Testament occurred during the New Testament era. But these days words like ‘Armageddon,’ ‘end times’ and ‘apocalypse’ intrigue people worldwide.
Many people are now turning to the Bible, appreciating its relevance in history, the present and the future. Now, can we answer “is the Bible true” with more conviction?
It has the answers to our “why” questions. Why is this or that happening today? Why does evil seem to be on the increase?
This holy book predicted and warned that there would be:
- More frequent, terrifying calamities and fear as the years go by;
- A relative ease of travel and increased knowledge; and
- Spiritual decline and moral decay as time passes.
Are these things true today? Given these, is the Bible true?
The Bible and History
Now, have we answered the question, “Is the Bible true?”
As we have mentioned earlier, the Scriptures also contain historical accounts. Here are some examples:
- The sequence of the four world empires in ancient times: Babylon, Medo-Persia, Greece and Rome;
- Babylon would be erased from the map;
- Cyrus the Great captured Babylon and led the Persian empire; and
- Egypt would never again dominate the nations.
In essence, this good book presents the origin of the world and man. It also set out the life journey of man up to the present time, and what will happen in the future.
Moreover, ancient non-Christian historians wrote of similar events to those found in the Bible in their works. Remember Tacitus, Flavius Josephus and other historians?
The Bible and Science
Is the Bible true? This time, let’s ask science.
We know that long ago people believed that the earth was flat. But before science confirmed it is a sphere, the holy scriptures refer to the “circle of the earth”, that it “hangs on nothing” and also that the air has weight.
Biblical Health Tips
The Bible contains practical tips for well-being. These principles are just as relevant today for our health and happiness. With this, is the Bible true then?
Here are ten examples of divine inspiration for health:
- Fruits, grains, nuts and vegetables are the healthier choice of diet.
- Eat meals at regular intervals.
- Do not consume animal fat or blood. We know that high cholesterol is a cause of heart disease.
- Do not overeat. Obesity is responsible for many degenerative diseases.
- Consuming alcohol impairs the memory and can cause chronic disease.
- Maintain a cheerful disposition. It’s like a medicine, promoting health and prolonging life. It’s imminent that depression is on the rise these days; this is an antidote.
- Balance work, activities and exercise with rest and sleep.
- Refrain from sexual immorality. There would be no fear of sexually transmitted diseases or unwanted pregnancies if this advice was followed.
- Keep your body clean—inside and out. Water is vital for good health.
- Bury body waste away from the encampment as disease is spread via water contamination. This biblical counsel from the book of Deuteronomy has helped save many lives throughout history.
The Bible and Archaeology
There is tangible proof that the good book is authentic and can be trusted—archaeological artefacts! For example:
- Archaeology has revealed records of King Belshazzar, King Sargon and the thirty-nine kings of ancient Judah and Israel.
- The cities of Sodom and Nineveh have been excavated.
- Evidence that writing and wheeled vehicles existed, for example, during the time of Moses disproves the concept that people were primitive at that time.
- The Dead Sea Scrolls verify the Bible’s authenticity.
Now, if you will be asked, is the Bible true? Can you defend it now?
Indeed, more and more discoveries confirm the existence of biblical places, people, objects and events.
Watch out for more amazing facts in future episodes.